Author Topic: Ten Best Films  (Read 71 times)

TA Epley

• View Profile
Ten Best Films
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
Rather childish to think anyone’s predilections can be defined in a list of ten, but humor me:

Mine are:

#1. “The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford” (2007) by Andrew Dominick
#2. “Crimes & Misdemeanors” (1989) by Woody Allen
#3. “Barry Lyndon” (1975) by Stanley Kubrick
#4. “Monsieur Verdoux” (1947) by Charles Chaplin
#5. “Rushmore” (1998) by Wes Anderson
#6. “Broadcast News” (1987) by James L. Brooks
#7. “Days of Heaven” (1978) by Terrence Malick
#8. “Nights of Cabiria” (1957) by Federico Fellini
#9. “The Passion of Joan of Arc” (1928) by Carl Theodore Dreyer
#10. “The Bridge on The River Kwai” (1957) by David Lean
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:30:02 PM by TA Epley »

AnsleyL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ten Best Films
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
These are your favorites or what you deem as objectively the ten best films?

Bran L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »
Interesting selection.

TA Epley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
Ansley, I’m not sure I know how to be objective. I certainly don’t think these are the ten most important films, but definitely ten films that I never tire of. I suppose I’d call them a list of favorites.

AnsleyL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Here is a credible ten best films ever made list...  I love them all.. would they be my top 10 favorite..  not all but these are arguably the greatest films

Godfather
Seven samurai
Taxi driver
2001 space odyssey
400 blows
Casablanca
Rear window
Star Wars
Pinocchio
Annie Hall

My criteria is technical prowess, innovation AND a well told tale.. which is why I left off citizen Kane
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:57:36 PM by AnsleyL »

Bran L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »
Interesting

TA Epley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:58:20 AM »
I can’t stay away from the films I listed. When compared to the list you’ve provided, it pales in significance, but seeing The Godfather just 2 or 3 times in my lifetime is plenty. 2001 in particular has scenes that are agonizing to watch. As if those monkeys aren’t ugly and irritating to begin with, the soundtrack seems determined to match the onscreen action. Seven Samurai could hardly be more important in the history of cinema, but I can think of plenty of Kurosawa films I’d rather sit down to watch today.

I’ve never found a distinct correlation or conversion-rate between importance and enjoyment.

TA Epley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
(I notice you gave D.W. Griffith a wide berth.)

AnsleyL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
Interesting... I find seven samurai the most entertaining... I love the end in particular

I can’t stay away from the films I listed. When compared to the list you’ve provided, it pales in significance, but seeing The Godfather just 2 or 3 times in my lifetime is plenty. 2001 in particular has scenes that are agonizing to watch. As if those monkeys aren’t ugly and irritating to begin with, the soundtrack seems determined to match the onscreen action. Seven Samurai could hardly be more important in the history of cinema, but I can think of plenty of Kurosawa films I’d rather sit down to watch today.

I’ve never found a distinct correlation or conversion-rate between importance and enjoyment.

TA Epley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
For me personally, Ran, Rashoman, and Yojimbo all do a better job of holding my interest, and I think of Ikiru and Stray Dog as having more depth and personal resonance. I’ve never really connected with 7-sam and it might be simply because I saw so many countless derivative works before watching it. Didn’t see it until I was over thirty, by which time the premis seemed very tired.